About the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
MAPS is a 35-year old non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. Emerging research indicates that psychedelic therapy has the potential to be a breakthrough approach in treating PTSD, depression, addiction, and other medical conditions. This shift has the potential to unlock previously unavailable resources for the investigation of psychedelic-assisted treatments applied to our most critical mental health challenges. The Senior Accountant role is an instrumental player in bringing this healing modality to the forefront of mental healthcare.
Why work for MAPS?
We value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome applicants who thrive during a growing decentralized organization that values science and healing.
We believe in diversity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, educational backgrounds, arrest or conviction record, military and veteran status, religions, abilities, and perspectives. MAPS values and seeks applicants who are people of color, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid.
MAPS is seeking a full-time Senior Accountant who is experienced with nonprofit accounting, GAAP and FASB. Grant/Fund accounting experience is a must. The person in this role will be responsible for accounting analysis, expense tracking by fund, inventory, ad-hoc financial reports, intra-company transactions, account reconciliations and accounting cleanup projects. Cross-training is important for the seamless operation of the team, so the Senior Accountant must also have experience with accounts payable and accounts receivable, cash receipts and multi-state payroll. The role requires a solution focused person that works independently, while providing an atmosphere of confidentiality and discretion.
This role is responsible for assisting with monthly and year-end closing, coding corrections and creating financial reports of the organization. You must be able to work effectively in a fast-changing, entrepreneurial setting with diverse team players while working across organizational and functional boundaries.
You must have a customer-service personality, be a strong self-starter with experience or aptitude for working in a fast-paced, remote environment. You must have proficiency with QuickBooks accounting software, MS Excel and Bill.com. Knowledge of Slack, Asana, SharePoint, Sage Intacct and MS Office is extremely helpful. High proficiency with CRM’s (such as Neon, Salesforce or Raisers Edge) is also preferred.
Location and Hours
This is a remote position that will require for you to have a suitable workspace with secure internet and reliable phone reception are required.
This position requires frequent phone and internet meetings. Certain home office expenses may be reimbursed. A work computer will be provided.
We are a West Coast-based organization and applicants must be available during standard business hours of 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific. Mon – Fri
The exact schedule may be arranged upon hire.
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week exempt position.
- Accomplishing accounting and organization mission by completing related results by their assigned deadline
- Assist with accounting cleanup projects
- Book intra-company transactions on a weekly basis
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis
- Assist with annual external audit, assist with 990 reporting, filing of tax returns and filing of other government compliance documents
- Assist with accounting software conversion project
- Financial reporting and analysis
- Fiscal sponsorship accounting
- Grants accounting
- Assisting in maintaining and balancing an automated consolidation system by inputting and verifying data
- Prepares consolidated external and internal financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments
- Prepares general ledger entries by maintaining records and files
- Reviews transaction entries and confirms bookkeeping and confirms to correct accounts and classes
- Create and maintain accrual schedules and makes accrual entries
- Develops and implements accounting procedures by implementing current procedures and recommending changes
- Month end and year-end closing assistance
- Inventory management
- Adjusting journal entries
- Assist with internal audits
- Assist with organizing paperless office environment
- Provide coverage of accounts payable and accounts receivable and payroll duties in the event of vacations or sick leaves
- Answering accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Create and maintain depreciation and amortization schedules.
- Collaborate with MAPS’ subsidiaries to assist with booking of intra-company transactions
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure accurate coding of expenses by class, location, project and fund.
- Collaborate with all members of the accounting team in a manner that is collegial, effective and promotes a positive, friendly culture
- Assist with annual audit, assist with 990 reporting, filing of tax returns and filing of other government compliance documents
- Provide coverage of accounts receivable and payroll duties in the event of vacations or sick leaves
- Communicate and collaborate with key players, internal and external staff
- Check in regularly with supervisor and complete assignments by assigned deadlines
- Document processes and provide regular updates
- Proactively seek methods of improvement, streamlining workflows and building efficiencies in individual work and project outcomes
- 5+ years of accounting experience (at least 2 years in nonprofit)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with minimal direct supervision
- Grace and sense of humor under pressure
- Experience in using:
- Microsoft Office
- Mentality that no job is too small or too big
- Experience with successfully working in diverse and inclusive work environments
- Track record of meeting deadlines while providing accurate deliverables
- Working in entrepreneurial environment
- Clean background check
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Experience working for the mental health industry; knowledge or psychedelic therapy for mental health
- Accounting certification such as CMA, CPA and/or CFE a plus
- Salary 75-80k per year
- 100% Company Paid Medical / Vision / Dental
- Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays
- Casual dress code