As a Principal on the Funds Team, and reporting directly to the Partners, you will bring a unique mix of skills and experience to the Grey House Partners eco-system based in Toronto, Canada to build the next generation of mental well-being companies globally.
Responsible for deal sourcing, due diligence, financial analyses, deal structuring, portfolio construction and risk management, and managing a team of associates.
Typical roles might include valuation, financing, and diligence efforts around portfolio investments, establishing investment vehicles (SPVs, CPCs), and more.
Primary Responsibilities, Requirements and Representative Tasks:
- Support Investment Committee in sourcing deals, conducting diligence on prospective portfolio companies, conducting financial analyses and deal structuring
- Develop and nurture domain expertise in specific areas/modalities within the psychedelic and mental health industry’s evolving landscape
- Support in the creation and management of various investment vehicles, including SPVs and CPCs which GHP or Noetic may seek to establish
- Assist with new business development efforts surrounding new Fund investors
- Thrive in a team environment where communication, cohesiveness, and a common purpose guide one’s unique responsibilities within the firm’s entrepreneurial culture
- Operate at the highest ethical and fiduciary standards
- Bachelors/Masters degree or higher in Finance, Accounting, or Life Sciences
- At least Level 2 CFA required
- Minimum of 5-7+ years work experience in healthcare/biotech venture capital, private equity, or asset management
- Demonstrated ability to lead finance and transaction activities in venture capital, hedge funds, or private equity, including portfolio construction and valuation
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent Excel skills required
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well in a high-octane, team environment
- Eager to work in a progressive, entrepreneurial environment
Noetic is one of the largest and most active pure-play venture capital funds focused on investing globally in early-stage psychedelic and CNS companies addressing unmet healthcare needs such as mental health conditions, substance use disorders, and distinct inflammatory-related ailments. Investments span drug discovery and development, devices, and digital technologies.
By way of background, Warren Wright (former CIO of Carlyle Group’s Liquid Markets), Michael Franks (VC background) and Sa’ad Shah (former Head of Marketing for Carlyle Liquid Markets) launched Noetic in February of 2020.
Informed by a growing evidence base, the firm conceptualizes psychedelics as a disruptive technology with the potential to contribute significantly to health when administered in the appropriate contexts and settings. Psychedelic-based therapeutics may present one of the first major breakthroughs in mental health treatment, for example, since the approval of the first SSRI antidepressant in 1987.
While there has been an emergence of publicly-traded psychedelics companies, with a handful surpassing billion-dollar valuations, this space is still in its infancy with the majority of opportunities remaining under-researched and under-capitalized; best accessed via investment in private companies.
Noetic has built a team of in-house research associates, scientists and venture partners with the deep domain expertise required to appraise opportunities in this nascent sector: from neuroscience and pharmacology through to regulatory pathways and health economics. The firm is committed to scaling the disruptive potential of psychedelics in a responsible manner, with a core mission of supporting the development of innovative technologies that help define a healthy future for people and planet.