Noetic (www.noeticfund.com) is a preeminent investment group in the emerging psychedelic pharmaceutical industry. We are seeking a talented Head of Compliance/Operations ideally with some past asset management compliance experience, biotech venture capital investing background, lean management experience, good overall compliance experience and other operational throughput execution experience to support our growing and dynamic firm. Ideally someone that thrives in a ‘high-octane’ environment is ideal. Weare the General Partners of a few different‘funds’, the Noetic Fund I & II, as well as the Grey House High Impact Fund, Grey House ALPHA Fund, and various SPVs.
The ideal candidate must possess a keen entrepreneurial spirit, as the team at Noetic is operating in a fast-evolving space and has an ambitious growth plan. In addition to supporting the venture funds, the Head of Compliance/Operations will have the opportunity to work on additional projects relating to Noetic’s venture studio / biotech operating business (dba Noetic Foundry) and other nascent opportunities.
The Head of Compliance/Operations will play a multi-faceted role and be involved in all facets of the organization.
We require a minimum of 3-5 years of prior compliance focused experience at a venture firm or other asset management firm, perhaps with some past corporate finance and M&A experienceand deep operational / throughput experience in a previous hyper growth environment. Our partnership group is based in Toronto, Canada.
The General Partners of Noetic Psychedelic Fund came together with the strong belief that psychoactive plants and their related compounds offer medical science a truly ‘disruptive technology’ for treating many of society’s greatest unmet medical and mental health needs. We believe the psychedelic pharmaceutical industry is only just emerging and that it will experience exponential growth over the coming decade as new psychedelic-based medicines and therapies are approved by national regulators and adopted by mainstream medicine.
Psychedelic medicine offers higher efficacy rates, minimal toxicity, lower treatment costs and customized solutions to those suffering from medical and mental health disorders. These breakthroughs will help transform the mental healthcare industry to move from treating a patient’s symptoms to providing long-term holistic solutions to patient problems. With disruption, changes occur quickly and the magnitude of change can be staggering. This nascent industry will offer first-movers, entrepreneurs and investors alike, a myriad of opportunities. We believe this opportunity set will manifest across intellectual property, medicine research and development, therapeutic modalities and networks, education, diagnostic technologies, integrated and holistic wellness centers and beyond.
Psychedelic-based medicines and their related therapies are generally unknown, under-researched and hard-to-value by the investment industry. This creates rare and fertile ground for first-mover investors. With opportunities abound to invest in and partner with medical and academic researchers, entrepreneurs, nascent pharmaceutical companies and other thought leaders, GHP is building a multi-faceted investment and merchant banking platform to help early-stage companies bring their novel medicines and technologies to market.
Roles and responsibilities
- Lead all compliance efforts and design, institutionalize and operationalize the compliance program/manual. This includes managing regulatory reporting requirements and licensing, overseeing AML/KYC programs, overseeing investor accreditation and suitability standards, maintaining a calendar of compliance obligations,conducting transaction monitoring, managing cross-functional compliance issues and remediation, and performing regular staff compliance training.
- Play an active role in portfolio maintenance, day-to-day decision making, compliance and risk management.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all regulatory compliance matters and build relationships with regulators and financial partners.
- Monitor new laws and regulations and take action as necessary.
- Support fund administration and work along-side our various fund administrators.
- Prepare dashboard and reports for executive use measuring and monitoring KPIs and other drivers of the business.
- Work with various team member to ensure the operating mandate is met and ongoing efforts to streamline operations and drive efficiencies is continuously pursued.
- Manage co-investment SPVs and other required structures.
- Support the launch of new initiatives, including Noetic’s venture studio.
Qualifications and skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- 3-5+ years of relevant compliance oversight, reporting and administration experiencein venture capital, private equity, hedge funds or asset management that demonstrates a strong knowledge of the regulatory environment.
- Additional investment industry / capital marketscompliance designations or courses will set you apart.
- Experience interacting with financial regulators.
- Ideally previous lean management, six sigma experience in a high octane, dynamic environment.
- Background in compliance, risk management, project management and institutionalizing the operating/compliance mandate.
- Strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial mindset is a must!
- Experience working in cross functional teams and a wide breadth of individuals and personalities.
- You may be interested in the trends and cycles of biotech industry, innovation, and understand how technology can drive value for our business.
- You appreciate value drivers with different business models (equity, upfront payments, royalty, licensing, software models)
- You are able to synthesize complex information and communicate effectively, using oral presentations and by generating the required materials.
- You are genuinely curious, with an interest in discussing innovative ideas in a highly collaborative and fast paced environment.
- Deep understanding of early-stage investments cycle
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical abilities coupled with understanding of operations to identify, size and justify new business opportunities.
firstname.lastname@example.org 100 Broadview Ave, Ste 300, Toronto, Ontario M5M 1L2