As a group controller, you would be responsible for all aspects of the company’s accounting operations, including international consolidations, oversight of general ledger and monthly close, SEC reporting, SOX compliance, tax, treasury, statutory reporting, accounts receivable and payable, payroll, fixed assets, NetSuite implementation and administration, equity system, and the external audit process. The position reports to the CFO and works closely with executive management/operating managers, and with the Lead of Finance, legal department, and tax advisors to drive global accounting and execution to support the Company’s growth.
Location: remote or in New York
Job Type: Full-time
ATAI is a Berlin, New York, and London based biotech company builder leveraging a decentralized, data-driven platform model with the aim of ultimately healing mental health disorders. We are dedicated to bringing innovation to mental healthcare, a field that has seen little progress since the development of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) in the 1980s and 1990s, respectively.
Our portfolio companies are developing innovative solutions in mental healthcare, including COMPASS Pathways (psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression), DemeRx (ibogaine for opioid use disorder), and EntheogeniX (leveraging AI and computational biophysics to develop the next generation of psychedelics).
- The opportunity to participate in the company’s success via a share option plan
- An entry point to a successful career in life sciences
- Be a major contributor to the success of a well-positioned, well-financed, rapidly growing biotech company
- Become part of creating a radically new and impactful paradigm shift in drug development and patient care
- An open, results-driven, and meritocratic start-up culture
- A great office and co-working space in Krausenstraße Berlin Stadtmitte, Mindspace (optional if you are based in Berlin)
- To work from where you want when you want, and with the device and equipment you choose
What You’ll Be Doing
- Preparation consolidated financial statements in accordance with US GAAP, ensuring compliance with all relevant US GAAP standards, SEC regulations and reporting submissions (e.g. 10-K’s, 10-Q’s, 8-Ks, etc).
- Prepare notes to accounts and all technical accounting memos for review by auditors, tax advisors, and management.
- Provide technical expertise for complex accounting areas such as stock-based compensation, mergers, divestments and acquisitions, and pro forma disclosure requirements.
- Assist in preparing board, audit committee, and senior management financial info.
- Design, implement and oversee all global accounting processes ensuring
- Manage the accounting close process and continuously improve processes to scale with the organization
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal tax filings for all operating companies.
- Oversee execution of transfer pricing agreements between operating companies across the group.
- Provide strategic assessment of tax implication for any major transactions proposed.
- Supervise AR, AP, payroll, fixed asset, and revenue recognition activities completed by external partners.
- Act as the primary liaison to external auditors and manage financial audits and reviews.
- Oversee the implementation and design of the control environment and ensure that its effective and fit for purpose.
- Support the implementation and future growth of the accounting system
What We Expect from You
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Accounting with current CPA license preferred or equivalent experience. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in corporate and/or general accounting including international reporting experience and recent public company experience as the controller or assistant controller.
- IPO and follow-on financing support of S1 and S3 filings a plus
- Proficiency with US GAAP required.
- Prior relevant financial management in the pharmaceutical industry required.
- Big 4 Public Accounting and SEC reporting experience preferred.
- Experience implementing/maintaining accounting systems and developing reporting and analytics capabilities.
- Strong people leader with the ability to produce quality results in an efficient manner within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Team-oriented collaborative spirit, positive individual with characteristics of cooperation, highest integrity and a customer service approach
- Ability to implement and research new and emerging accounting trends, as applicable.
Join us to improve the lives of millions suffering from a real unmet medical need – apply today via the apply button on the right and send us your updated CV and LinkedIn profile.
Please note that we can only accept applications from people that have a valid US work permit.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.