ATAI is a Berlin, New York, and London based biotech company builder leveraging a decentralized, data-driven platform model with the aim of ultimately healing mental health disorders. We are dedicated to bringing innovation to mental healthcare, a field that has seen little progress since the development of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) in the 1980s and 1990s, respectively.
Our portfolio companies are developing innovative solutions in mental healthcare, including COMPASS Pathways (psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression), DemeRx (ibogaine for opioid use disorder), and EntheogeniX (leveraging AI and computational biophysics to develop the next generation of psychedelics).
As the assistant controller, you would assist with all aspects of the company’s accounting operations, including international consolidations, oversight of general ledger and monthly close, SEC reporting, SOX compliance, tax, treasury, statutory reporting, accounts receivable and payable, payroll, fixed assets, NetSuite implementation and administration, equity system, and the external audit process. The position reports to the VP Global Controller and works closely with executive management/operating managers, and with the EU Accounting Lead, legal department, and tax advisors to drive global accounting and execution to support the Company’s growth.
Employment type: full-time
Location: remote or in New York
- The opportunity to participate in the company’s success via a share option plan
- An entry point to a successful career in life sciences
- Be a major contributor to the success of a well-positioned, well-financed, rapidly growing biotech company
- Become part of creating a radically new and impactful paradigm shift in drug development and patient care
- An open, results-driven, and meritocratic start-up culture
- A great office and co-working space in Krausenstraße Berlin Stadtmitte, Mindspace (optional if you are based in Berlin)
- To work from where you want when you want, and with the device and equipment you choose
- Preparation of consolidated financial statements in accordance with US GAAP, ensuring compliance with all relevant US GAAP standards, and SEC regulations
- Assist in preparing board, audit committee, and senior management financial info.
- Support the implementation of all global accounting processes
- Manage the US accounting close process and continuously improve processes to scale with the organization
- Oversee the consolidation, including elimination entries and inter-company reconciliations.
- Support tax team on compliance with all local, state, and federal tax filings for all operating companies.
- Review AR, AP, payroll, fixed asset, and revenue recognition activities completed by accounting managers
- Work with VP Global Controller and SEC Reporting Director manage financial audits and reviews.
- Support the implementation and design of the control environment and ensure that its effective and fit for purpose.
- Support the implementation and future growth of the accounting system
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Accounting with current CPA. MBA preferred.
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in corporate and/or general accounting including international reporting experience and recent public company experience as the controller or assistant controller.
- IPO and follow-on financing support of S1 and S3 filings a plus.
- Proficiency with US GAAP required.
- Prior relevant financial management in the pharmaceutical industry required.
- Big 4 Public Accounting and SEC reporting experience preferred.
- Experience implementing/maintaining accounting systems and developing reporting and analytics capabilities.
- Strong people leader with the ability to produce quality results in an efficient manner within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Team-oriented collaborative spirit, positive individual with characteristics of cooperation, highest integrity and a customer service approach
- Ability to implement and research new and emerging accounting trends, as applicable.