The Full Stack Software Engineer will be responsible for delivering COMPASS’s online learning platform.
The interactive platform will be used to provide theoretical and practice-based training to therapists. We want to develop a world-class platform that supports and enables therapists to be the best they can be, as we work to transform mental health care. Our emphasis is on user experience and security while maintaining best practices.
COMPASS Pathways is a mental health care company dedicated to accelerating patient access to evidence-based innovation in mental health. Our focus is on improving the lives of those who are suffering with mental health challenges and who are not helped by current treatments. We are pioneering the development of a new model of psilocybin therapy, in which our proprietary formulation of synthetic psilocybin, COMP360, is administered in conjunction with psychological support.
Location: The role can be based in the United Kingdom or the United States.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Own the technical part of the learning management platform, both front-end and back-end
- Ensure the system is scalable, secure and robust
- Actively contribute to product iteration and development to ensure product is delivering an excellent experience to users
- Hire, train, mentor and grow fellow engineers
- Write and ship high quality, best-practice grade code, ensure technical documentation is up to date
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency
- Work across functional teams in the company to translate requirements into technical features, and with data scientists and analysts to develop software
- The position reports into the Head of Data Engineering
- The position works closely with the Therapy Research and Training Team, UI/UX designer, data scientists, and learning designer
- Experience in product software development (both front-end and back-end), will ideally have worked on a Learning Management System or within the education sector
- Language agnosticism, understanding of strengths and weaknesses of various languages, systems and frameworks
- Expert knowledge of React ecosystem
- Experience with Typescript, Next.js and Blitz.js is a plus
- Expertise in Python and experience with other programming languages, ideally Java
- Good understanding of how relational DBMS (ideally Postgres) work, proficiency in SQL and query performance tuning
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code frameworks (e.g., Terraform) is a plus
- Strong analytical, project management, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to operate independently and in cross-functional teams under uncertainty in an entrepreneurial and rapid growth-oriented environment
- Aligned to our company mission and values of Compassionate, Bold, Rigorous and Inclusive
- Ability to work in the UK or US (London or New York offices)