About MAPS Public Benefit Corporation (MAPS PBC)
MAPS PBC is pioneering a new form of mental health care, beginning with the development of MDMA-assisted therapy as an FDA-approved treatment for PTSD. MDMA-assisted therapy is a new paradigm in the treatment of mental health, combining a medicine with psychotherapy to address the root causes of PTSD. It has been designated a Breakthrough Therapy by the FDA and the results of our pivotal Phase 3 clinical trial were published in Nature Medicine or profiled on the front page of The New York Times.
MAPS PBC is a Public Benefit Corporation, with a dual mandate to generate shareholder value and public benefit. We are a wholly owned subsidiary of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), a non-profit working for over three decades to develop medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from psychedelics. We are committed to continuing to lead the field of psychedelic medicine with integrity and ethics at the core.
Why work for MAPS Public Benefit Corporation (MAPS PBC)?
- We are a diverse team that shares a deep belief in the critical need for innovation and expanded access in the treatment of mental health conditions.
- We are entrepreneurial, collaborative, and open-minded in how we approach our innovative work.
- We are a new kind of pharmaceutical company that prioritizes public benefit over profit and is committed to sustainability, accountability, and transparency.
We believe in diversity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, educational backgrounds, military and veteran status, religions, abilities, and perspectives. MAPS PBC values and seeks applicants who are people of color, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people. MAPS PBC strives to establish a supportive, equitable and accessible work environment.
Deputy General Counsel Executive Summary
MAPS PBC is seeking an experienced and talented attorney with strong healthcare or pharmaceutical experience who is driven to the vision of advancing innovative mental health care solutions. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, and collaborating closely with the MAPS General Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel oversees the legal affairs of MAPS PBC during a key period of start-up growth and expansion. This individual will interface closely with partners across a distributed, yet highly interconnected team, with a culture centered around values of truth, trust and transparency.
- Corporate Legal: work collaboratively with MAPS PBC Counsel on corporate legal matters relating to compliance, partnership agreements, employment law, regulatory matters, risk management and general proposals. Advise executive members on new laws, existing laws, and legal rights and obligations that would impact functionality of the business.
- Contract control: review and interpret corporate contracts, non-disclosure agreements, data processing agreements, fiscal sponsorship agreements, and other legal compliance documents.
- Regulatory compliance: research and analyze matters related to existing and new applicable regulatory requirements including but not limited to GDPR, HIPAA, FDA, Stark and other governmental regulatory compliance matters.
What you bring to the role:
- A minimum of a Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited U.S. Law School.
- Admitted to practice in a US state.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of legal experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical-related fields.
- Some in-house legal experience is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and professionally.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Cover letter required; incomplete applications may not be considered.
MAPS PBC is a distributed team that uses technology and periodic in-person gatherings to stay connected. We look for people who are comfortable with and skilled at remote work and collaboration.
Competitive benefit package includes:
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Sick Time
- Holiday Pay
- Employer paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance (100% covered for employees + 50% for dependents)
- Employer funded mental health HRA
- Employer funded SEP IRA
- FSA/Dep Care
- Pet Insurance
- Home Office Stipend
- Wellness Wednesday/Journal Club/Yoga/Meditation and so much more!